The Elrington Hotel was built in 1913, across the road from the old hotel that was built in 1856 (building no longer there). The Hotel includes a post office.
The Hotel features country pub meals.
The Hotel also has 4 accommodation rooms available. Call for current rates
A 1911 NSWR Mail Van has been set up for group accommodation.
There were many hotels at Majors Creek during the gold rush and through to the turn of the centu-ry. One of these that has traded continually up until to now is the Elrington Hotel.
The first Elrington Hotel consisting of a two-story building constructed of weatherboard with a galvanised roof. A Special Licensing Court of 1908 stated that the hotel contains 18 rooms, wood, old in fair condition, recently painted, furniture fair, 3 WC's, one urinal, stables good condition, water tanks and good well 10 mile from Braidwood. Early records show that David Heazlett had the licence from 1868 to 1872, on his death in 1872 the licence was transferred to his wife Char-lotte Heazlett from 1872 to 1881 and on her death it is assumed that the licence was then trans-ferred to their son John Heazlett . It is not known the faith of the old Elrington, it was presumably demolished as it was in a bad state of repair. The stables remained there for many years, used for milking cows. In 1914 Mr John Heazlett the landlord of the Elrington Hotel Majors Creek submit-ted plans of a new building and it was adopted and was built on the opposite side of the street to the old hotel by the Thompson Bros of Parkers Gap.
In 1916 Mr Twomey, organiser for the Liquor Defence Association visited Braidwood to met with hotelkeepers re troubles district publicans were having with either new regulations and inspectorial ideas. Mr Heazlett the landlord of the hotel at Majors Creek was ordered to build a new hotel, plans were prepared, submitted to the licensing inspector and the bench and duly passed. The new building was erected in accordance with these plans when Mr Heazlett was ordered to pull down two of the rooms as not being in compliance with the foresaid regulations. A landlord has surely quite enough to put up with nowadays without being thus asked to throw his money away at the whim of some querulous and pernickety inspector. It was decided to bring the hotelkeeper's grievances before the Chief Secretary with the hope that he will not sanction such injustices as have been perpetrated here.
Mr Heazlett advertised the new hotel for lease in 1925 and later that year he offered the well known and old established hotel for private sale. In Mr Heazlett's obituary of 1932 it stated that he was in the hotel business for 40 years and retiring around 20 years ago. It is not known when Mr Theodore Carter the next licensee took over as in 1917 he applied for the licensing fee to be re-duced by the reduction in business due to the 6 o'çlock closing. He also stated that the landlord had reduced the rental from 80-60 pound. It appears that at that time he was leasing the hotel from Mr Heazlett who was his uncle. In 1928 the license was transferred from Mr Carter to Sy Turnbull followed by Arnold Hayes, John Hennessy and Reginald John Lewis and in 1945 to John Richard Corcoran. In 1949-50 Reg Lewis took over again the Lewis family remained in the hotel for many years until retiring when it was taken over by son Ken Lewis , then came Ron Paull, Marshall McCarron, Pat Wood, David Maddrell, Richard and Eilish Blackley-Kidd, Frazer Stephenson, Kate Mitchell, Donna Blowers and Kate Mitchell.
In later years the bar was enlarged taking up the side verandar to enlarge the bar and allowing septic toilets to be installed. Other alterations and improvements were done by Richard and Eilish Kidd during their time in the hotel. In 2004 the hotel was nearly destroyed by fire but with quick action by fire brigades the hotel was trading again within a couple of days.Contributed by Brian McDonald